CPR First Aid


How to Know and Treat a Wasp Sting Allergy?

How to Know and Treat a Wasp Sting Allergy

Summertime is a time for fun in the sun, but it can also be a time for wasp stings. For most people, a wasp sting is nothing more than a painful nuisance. But for some people, a wasp sting can trigger an allergic reaction that leads to serious medical complications.

If you are one of those people, it’s important to know how to recognize and treat a wasp sting allergy. We’ll go over the signs of a wasp sting allergy in this article, along with what to do if you become allergic. We will also provide tips on how to avoid getting stung by wasps.

What is a Wasp?

A wasp is an insect with two pairs of wings. The female wasp can sting while the male cannot. Wasps are found in many different colours, including yellow, black, and brown. They build nests out of paper or mud.

Wasp: insect with wings, females sting, males don't. Found in various colors: yellow, black, brown.

Wasps in Southport QLD

In Australia, wasps are relatively common, particularly in the more urbanised areas of the country. While they are not considered to be major pests, they can cause problems for people who are allergic to their stings. Wasps can also be a nuisance around homes and businesses, particularly if they build their nests close to human habitation.

If you have a wasp problem, the best thing to do is to contact a professional pest control company that will be able to advise you on the best course of action. Wasps can be controlled using a variety of methods, including traps and pesticides. However, it is important to note that wasps are protected under Australian law. Check with your local Southport authorities before taking any action.

What Happens When You Get Stung by a Wasp?

When you are stung by a wasp, you will experience sharp pain. This is because the sting contains venom that is injected into your skin. The venom causes your body to have an allergic reaction, which can range from mild to severe.

Mild reactions include swelling, redness, and itchiness at the site of the sting. Severe reactions can cause anaphylaxis, which is a life-threatening condition that requires immediate medical attention. If you have been stung by a wasp and are experiencing any symptoms of an allergic reaction, you should seek medical help immediately. Wasps are more likely to sting humans if they feel threatened or if their nest is disturbed.

Wasp sting brings sharp pain. Venom causes allergic reaction, mild to severe.

Signs and Symptoms

There are several signs and symptoms of a wasp sting, which include:

  • pain at the site of the sting
  • swelling
  • redness
  • Itchiness

And if the situation gets worse, symptoms of a severe allergic reaction include:

  • difficulty breathing
  • swallowing, or speaking
  • swelling of the face, throat, or tongue
  • hives
  • dizziness or lightheadedness

Are wasp stings toxic? Although they are not, they can be painful in most cases. If you experience any of these symptoms after being stung by a wasp, call triple zero (000) right away.

How Long Does a Wasp Sting Last?

Most people experience pain and swelling from a wasp sting for about two to three days. The pain is usually greatest within the first hour after being stung. Some people may have a more severe reaction that can last up to one week.

Southport first aiders in the workplace or in the community setting are the first responders to prevent the patient from any further harm in an emergency such as severe allergic reactions. If you are interested in a first aid course in Southport, call CPR First Aid (RTO 21903) and we’ll be sure to answer your enquiries.

Which is Worse Bee Sting or Wasp Sting?

There is no easy answer to this question as it depends on a number of factors, including the person’s individual reaction to the sting, location, and the severity of the sting. In general, however, bee stings are typically more painful than wasp stings. Additionally, bee stings can sometimes cause more serious reactions, like anaphylaxis.

Wasp Sting Treatment

Wasp stings can be painful and even dangerous, so it’s important to know how to treat them properly. Depending on the sting’s severity and the victim’s response, a number of different techniques can be applied.

What is the best way to treat a wasp sting?

One of the most common treatments is to remove the stinger from the skin as soon as possible. This can be done with a pair of tweezers or by scraping it off with a blunt object. Once the stinger is removed, the area should be washed with soap and water to cleanse it and help prevent infection. Apply a cold compress to the area to help reduce swelling.

If you have a known allergy to wasp stings, carry an epinephrine auto-injector (such as an EpiPen®) with you at all times.

If the allergies don’t heal soon and the symptoms are only getting worse, do not wait to see if the symptoms go away. Call 000 or go to the nearest emergency room. Do not try to drive yourself to the hospital.

Even if you do not have a known allergy to wasp stings, it is beneficial to be familiar with the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis.

Not removing the stinger

If you do not remove a wasp stinger, the venom can continue to pump into your skin, causing more pain and swelling.

First Aid for Severe Allergic Reactions to Wasp Sting

Act quickly and carry out the following first aid procedures if someone you know is experiencing a severe allergic reaction to a wasp sting:

  1. Call 000 or your Southport local emergency medical services number immediately.
  2. Have the person sit down and keep calm.
  3. Apply a cold pack to the affected area for 10 minutes at a time.
  4. If the person is having difficulty breathing, give them one puff of an inhaled asthma medication, only if they have one. Follow DRSABCD.
  5. If the person begins to vomit or has seizures, lay them on their side to prevent choking.
  6. Keep an eye on the person until medical help arrives.

In severe cases, keep in mind that the affected person may need to receive a shot of epinephrine (adrenaline) and be monitored for several hours.

What is an epinephrine auto-injector?

Epinephrine auto-injectors are small, easy-to-use devices that can be carried with you in case of an emergency. They come pre-filled with epinephrine and have a needle that is automatically injected into the thigh muscle when the device is activated. Epinephrine auto-injectors are available by prescription only and are not available over-the-counter.

How to Avoid Wasp Stings?

Following these tips can help you avoid wasp stings and enjoy a sting-free summer.

Avoid wasp stings, enjoy a sting-free summer with these tips.

Avoid sweet foods and drinks

Wasps are attracted to sweetness, so it’s best to avoid sugary foods and drinks when outdoors.

Keep your distance

If you see a wasp, it’s best to keep your distance. If you’re too close, the wasp may feel threatened and sting you.

Wear protective clothing

When outdoors, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants to protect your skin from stings.

Use insect repellent

If you’ll be in an area where wasps are likely to be present, use an insect repellent containing DEET or another active ingredient.

In conclusion, a person who knows his or her allergies, especially from insect stings can reduce the risk of severe allergic reactions, as these can cause harm within minutes and worse, can be fatal.

Being prepared in emergency cases brought about by anaphylaxis can be a matter of life or death for a person. Get a first aid certification at Cnr Ferry Rd and, Cotlew St E, Southport 4215 or check out CPR First Aid’s other locations near you.

Subscribe now & receive Exclusive DISCOUNTS on your booking!



More Posts

The answer is simple: DRSABCD is an easy way to remember the order of first aid steps when someone is injured.

What does DRSABCD stand for?

Imagine you are at work and someone falls ill. What should you do? Well, the answer may be simpler than you think – according to